Welcome to the Teens/Young Adults Page
You may have found this page because you are a young person concerned about your behaviour around food or you are an OA member seeking ways to reach out to young people interested in OA.
Tradition 3: "The only requirement for OA membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively." In the spirit of this Tradition, compulsive eaters of any age, young or old, are welcome to seek help in OA.
If you have a problem with food, give yourself the following quick quiz. Be honest — you're doing this for YOU!
Are You a Compulsive Overeater?
- Do you eat as a response to all kinds of feelings — highs, lows and in-betweens?
- Does your overeating make you miserable?
- Do your eating habits interfere with your social life; or does your social life revolve around food?
- Do you eat normally in front of others and binge when you're alone?
- Do you drift off in class because you're thinking about food or losing weight?
- Do you hate gym and other activities because of your weight?
- Do you spend more than you would like to on junk food?
- Do you sometimes steal food — or money to buy it?
- Do you pass up dances and other events because you can't fit into nice clothes?
- Do you resent people's comments and "helpful suggestions" about your weight or the amount of food you eat?
If your answer to most of these questions is yes, you're not alone. Many people, including teenagers, suffer from the disease of compulsive eating — a disease from which we can recover.
I'm anorexic/bulimic. Will OA help me?
OA is a Twelve-Step recovery program primarily for the disorder of compulsive overeating. OA welcomes anyone who has the desire to stop eating compulsively. Many compulsive overeaters have had periods of bulimia and/or anorexia as a part of the disease of compulsive overeating.
Go to the Meetings List to find meetings in your area; to Online Meetings to search for online meetings; or to Podcasts to listen to personal stories of people in recovery.
If you have more questions, you might find the answers on our How it Works or FAQ pages. We can also mail you out some brochures, just email us at email@example.com and put “Information for Teens” in the subject line, or call 9521 3696 and leave a message.